To learn a song that can lift your spirit if everything feels dark and perhaps look at the bright side of life.
- Dealing with change
- Addressing problems and issues
- Engaging in self development
The trainer should find a song as an example of a song that is suitable for the group that they can sing or show on screen.
The activity trains the participants in looking on positive sides of changes in their life. Research has shown that music and laughter can have an uplifting effect on your mood.
American Music Therapy Association wrote that music therapy is the clinical & evidence-based use of music interventions to accomplish individualized goals within a therapeutic relationship by a credentialed professional who has completed an approved music therapy program. Music therapy interventions can address a variety of healthcare & educational goals, like promoting wellness, manage stress, alleviate pain, express feelings etc
This activity uses aspects of therapy to promote wellness and manage stress.
The activity is done in groups of 4-5 persons.
The trainer tells the group that they are going to learn a new song. They are presented with the lyrics of the song while they watch a video of the song. The procedure:
- Chose a song that your participants can understand
- The criteria of the song is that it is positive and if possible humoristic and easy to sing
- Find a video of the song and the lyrics that you can present to the participants
You can then play the videos and you can all sing along. Go through the song and the lyrics so that the participants understand the text if they have another mother tongue.
- Which part of this song did you like best?
- What is the morale of this song?
- Can you use it to cheer yourself up?
The exercise can be done with age mixed groups to learn from different experiences.